Monday, May 21, 2012

Speaking of Jesus (The art of not-evangelism)

I am not a book worm. I would love to be one. Often, I get books in hopes of become engrossed in them. Sadly, very seldom does that happen.

There is one book I was given and I am finding it very hard to put down. It is well written. It reads as if the author is just sitting next to you talking about the topic. Dare I say it...I have become engrossed in a book!

"Speaking of Jesus, the art of not-evangelism" by Carl Medearis is a moving book. Not the kind to get you up and out the door, off to save the world kinda of move. It makes you stop and think about what you believe in. Asks you to undefine what Christianity means. Moves you in a thought provoking kinda of way. There are countless quotes that have pulled me in deeper and deeper.

There is one quote that made my world stop....literally! I read it over three times, OUT LOUD.

"I don't want to redefine salvation. I don't want to redefine the gospel or even Christianity on the whole. I suppose I want to undefine them. I want to strip away the thousands of years of graffiti painted onto the gospel, turning it into a reasonable code of doctrines. The gospel is not an idea. It is not a belief. It is not a favorite verse. The gospel does not live in our church, it cannot be written down in a simple message, and it is not the sinner's prayer. The gospel is not a what. It is not a how. The gospel is a WHO.  The gospel is literally the good news of Jesus. Jesus is the gospel."-Carl Medearis

I have no words my mouth is just open and my head is shaking "Yes!" What has this world done to the gospel? 

I will not tell any more....you are just going to have to read it for yourself! It is a great book and I highly recommend it! ME....recommending a book.  Now really...what has this world come to?!

No comments: