Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Trying to be better...

Are you like me, rushing out the door and not having all the things with you that you need or  have not finished your A.M. to-do list?!

Well, if you are, you know the feeling. Something like you are ok with what you have on but not 100% sure what it is,  like there are some of the thing you need with you but not all, and the fear of thinking you will never get it all done in the back of your mind. Oh, yeah. I know that feeling all to well. When I moved to Africa, as a missionary, I assumed my life would be a little slower. You know fitting into Africa Time. I could have not been more wrong. No wonder there is a saying about making an ass out of you and me when you assume.....because it is TRUE!

I may live in a place that is event oriented and not task oriented but my role, the one God asked me to do, is more task then event. So, over the last year of being here on the ground I have kissed my "slow paced" dream goodbye. Trust me I love my ministry, the people I work with, and where I live...but that dream of slowness has faded!

With so many things coming up in my date book I need to do something! Something to help me feel less like a chicken with no head, if that is possible. So, I am trying something new tonight, yes it is night here in Uganda.

As soon as I walked in the door I started to look around and to see what needed to be done...and what things were not life or death. The list I came up with is below:

-Washing in off the line
-Washing put away
-Wash and dry veggies 
-Kitchen cleaned up
-Water filter re-filled
-Lunch made for tomorrow
-Plan something for dinner tomorrow
-Go through emails, personal and ministry related
-Feed the fat cat
-Get ready for tomorrow
-Nightly Bible reading
-Shower
-Bed hopefully before 11pm

Long list right?! And it is already 7pm. So here is the game plan I came up with!

GAME PLAN:
Kitchen- as I put the clean dishes away I would get the coffee pot ready for the morning. I would also let the water run to re-fill the water filter. Dirty dishes could be left for the lady who comes once a week to clean for me. While chatting with a friend wash and dry veggies. While SKYPing put everything in the crock-pot for tomorrows dinner. Call kitchen done.

Washing-as I listen to some worship music bring clothes in off the line AND put them away...otherwise they sit in a pile for a week! Make a pile of dirty clothes to be washed in the morning. As I pass done "dirty clothes pile" feed the fat cat, and trust me she is FAT!

Emails- While enjoying the sounds of the kids playing in the compund next door I will set a timer. Set it for 20min and work on as many Short-Term Emails as I can. When timer is goes off close email and take a shower. After shower re-set the timer for 20min. Work on as many personal emails I can. When the timer goes off close emails and computer for the night (this is a hard one for me). Once computer is off sit and do my nightly Bible reading. By then I pray it is not past 11pm.....even if so GO TO BED!
I wish I was this together by 6am!

So, that is the game plan for tonight. Lets see how much I can do! If you have any tips on time management or finishing one's to-do list let me know!

No comments: