Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Something to make your mornings SWEET

This past Sunday I was thinking of ways to make a tasty, healthy, and money savvy way to make breakfasts for my week mornings. Instead of running out to the store and spending money, even when I could I knew I shouldn’t. I just looked around to see what I had in my kitchen that could be brekfesty (yes, I made up a word). There were 4 almost too brown bananas and on further inspection I found some semi-sweet chocolate chips and some coconut oil. From what I had I could wipe up some banana chocolate chip bread and or muffins. So once the house cooled off a little of the summer day, I have no AC, I stated to make my breakfast treat.

I fallowed my normal recipe for banana bread but used whole wheat flour and coconut oil instead of butter. It is much healthier then butter and adds a great taste; the bread moist and has a hint of the tropics.
Ingredients
• 2 cups all-purpose flour or whole wheat
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
• 3/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
The recipe made one loaf and 5 muffins. The muffins will be great for mornings when I am running late and the loaf is good for the nights when I want something sweet and almost ready to cave in to the candy fix. So if you are in bind of having tasty, fast, and healthy breakfasts then try making your mornings sweet with some banana chocolate chip bread!

No comments: